North Korea, officially known as the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK), is an Asian country in the East. It’s park of the northern half of the Korean Peninsula. You can locate it in between the Sea of Japan and Korea Bay.
Neighboring countries include China, Russia, and South Korea. If you are planning to travel to North Korea, this guide will provide you with important and useful information to help you. Read more to learn details about your travel to North Korea.
The first thing you should know is that travel to North Korea must be done with a guided tour. Independent travel is not allowed.
Come to think of it, it might be to your advantage since you don’t have to plan your itinerary any more.
Just go to an authorized travel agency and they’ll book your travel to North Korea including food, lodging, and tours. Now that’s less of a burden of planning for you.
Aside from that, make sure that you read the necessary guidelines and limitations that come with the package tour. Note that your movements and behavior will be closely monitored.
If you are not ready to accept the limitations on your movements, then plan on another time. Nevertheless, if it won’t be a problem, travel to North Korea will surely be a unique and memorable experience.
While you are in North Korea, remember that you should not say anything that can be perceived as an insult to Kim Il-sung, Kim Jong, Juche, or any of the North Korean people or government.
In fact, they don’t even dare say the name of their “Great Father” out of respect. If you’re heard, you and your guide will be in serious trouble but it is your guide who will face the worst of it. Just assume that you are under continuous surveillance throughout your whole stay.
Cities to visit
- Pyngyang – this city is the capital of the country and was also the previous capital of Goguryeo during the Three Kingdoms period
- Chongjin – is not very popular to the tourists. It’s an industrial city on the north east of the country.
- Kaesong – this city was once the Goryeo dynasty’s capital
- Wonsan – this port city can be found in the country’s East coast but is rarely visited by tourists
- Nampo – another industrial center and port city that you can find on the west
Destinations to visit
- Kumgangsan – you can visit this scenic Diamond Mountains in one of the available tours from the South.
- Myohyangsan – one of the best hiking spots is the Mysterious Fragrant Mountain.
- Paekdusan – this is where the Kim Dynasty was born. It is also the tallest mountain in the whole of Korea.
- Panmunjom – it is a historical site being the last outpost of the Cold War in the DMZ between South and North Korea.